First in a two part series, Part 1: Basic Concepts is designed to convey the key concepts developed in the last 20 years, which constitute the fundamentals of nanoelectronics and mesoscopic physics. For part 2: Quantum Models, please visit: https://nanohub.org/courses/FON2
(Example Long Description)
Nearly a thousand students registered for these courses, and the feedback was overwhelmingly positive:
“The course was just awesome…. and Prof Datta’s style of delivering lecture is mind blowing.”
Over 35% of those registered went on to complete the exams and receive proofs of completion and digital badges.
Basic Concepts assumes basic familiarity with calculus and elementary differential equations.
NO prior acquaintance with quantum mechanics is assumed.
Scientific Overview Video:
Part 1: Basic Concepts
is designed to convey the key concepts developed in the last 20 years which constitute the fundamentals of nanoelectronics and mesoscopic physics.
Preview the lectures below, or join the course by clicking the yellow button on the right and entering your nanoHUB login information!
Week 1: The New “Ohm’s law” for Nanoscale Resistors
- L1.1: – Change in Paradigm
- L1.2: – Two Key Concepts
- L1.3: – Why Electrons Flow
- L1.4: – Generalized Ohm’s Law
- L1.5: – Conductivity and Ballistic Conductivity
- L1.6: – Where is the Heat?
Week 2: The Quantum of Resistance: h/q2 ~ 25,800 Ohms
- L2.1: – Two Concepts, N(E), D(E)
- L2.2: – de Broglie Wavelength
- L2.3: – Relating Conductivity Formulas
- L2.4: – A Simple Example
- L2.5: – One More Concept, M(E)
- L2.6: – Conductance Quantization
Week 3: The Nanotransistor: A Device more Numerous than Ants
- L3.1: – Why the Current Saturates
- L3.2: – Role of Electrostatics
- L3.3: – Self-Consistent Model
- L3.4: – Extended Channel Model
- L3.5: – The New Boundary Condition
- L3.6: – Boltzmann Equation
Week 4: The “Spinning” Electron: A New Device Paradigm
- L4.1: – Spin Valve
- L4.2: – Valet-Fert Equation
- L4.3: – Non-Local Spin Potentials
- L4.4: – What Spin has to do with Magnets
- L4.5: – Spins can Turn Magnets
- L4.6: – Is Each Electron a Little Magnet?
Week 5: Electricity from Heat: Devices for a Greener World
- L5.1: – Current Driven by Temperature
- L5.2: – Seebeck Coefficient
- L5.3: – Heat Current
- L5.4: – One-Level Device
- L5.5: – Heat Current Due to Phonons
- L5.6: – The Bottum-Up View