You are here: ERC-SOPS
Engineering Research Center for Structured Organic Particulate Systems
- Published on Friday, 11 May 2012 04:05
- Hits: 2450
The Center for Structured Organic Particulate Systems (C-SOPS) focuses on the development of structured organic composite products and their manufacturing processes in the pharmaceutical, nutraceutical, and agrochemical industries.
The research of the Center is conducted in order to achieve for main objectives:
- To develop the scientific foundation for forming materials with desired properties (size and size distribution, shape, stability, surface properties, crystal form, constitutive behavior, purity, homogeneity, degree of agglomeration, solubility) which are required as building blocks for products based on structured organic particulate systems.
- To bring the manufacturing processes that produce controlled structure delivery forms to the point of clear, quantitative engineering design through the development of new design models that predict delivery form properties as a function of process variables and formulation properties, and development of new or improved process designs for continuous manufacturing.
- To develop the scientific understanding and quantification of the role of particles structure on the observed function/performance for structured organic composites.
- To optimize the performance of manufacturing processes of composite products by developing and implementing advanced model-based informatics, supervisory control strategies, design and scale-up, and real time optimization methodologies
As part of its mission as an Engineering Research Center (ERC) funded by the National Science Foundation (NSF), the Center also organizes outreach projects to introduce students to the sciences in fun and engaging ways by developing interactive modules that demonstrate the often-unexpected nature of particulate and fluid systems.
Institutional link: http://ercforsops.org